How this works:
- Spend 1d10 silver by buying a round of drinks for everyone and telling them about your plans for adventure. However much you spend, you find that many hopefuls.
- Each hireling has a set cost to "buy" them. This is a combination of the debts they have to pay off before they can join you, the supplies they need to buy, and a chunk of their pay. You won't need to pay them any more after that, but they'll want a modest cut of any treasure.
- Each hireling costs 1d4 gold, rolling another d4 and adding if you roll a four. Max 12 gold. Each additional d4 is an extra Hit Dice (1d8 hitpoints) and improves their overall capabilities. 1 HD hirelings are non-combatants, 2 HD hirelings will accompany you into battle, and 3 HD hirelings are seasoned adventurers themselves.
- Urchin, simpleton, drunkard, dog
- Linkboy, mason, carpenter, fisherman
- Porter, rich dandy, blacksmith, medic, hunter
- Local fighter, bandit
- Mercenary, priest
- Foreign warrior
- A proper adventurer
- Grizzled veteran